Top critical review
Funniest Car-jacking on Film
November 20, 2018
...by TEXT message? How rude! What a way to dump a lover!
Written and directed by Susanna Fogel ("Chasing Life"), this slam-bang actioner has it all: Spies, counterspies, frantic pursuits, people who pretend to be someone they aren't, and the most absurd carjacking ever committed to film. Every spy movie needs photogenic locations, so here we have Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam, Budapest, Paris and Lithuania.
Part of Fogel's very able cast:
* Justin Theroux ("The Leftovers") This film opens with Drew in Lithuania. It's obvious he is being stalked. Luckily he has an unlimited supply of ammo for his handgun (I know, I know. It's a SPY movie!).
* Mila Kunis ("Family Guy") Audrey got his text and is NOT happy about being dumped; she even met his parents! Her Best Forever Friend is willing to kill Drew for her.
* Kate McKinnon ("Rough Night") Yep. Morgan would totally kill Drew for Audrey. Even though Morgan is described as "a bit much," she knows she's perfectly normal.
* Hasan Minhaj ("The Daily Show") Duffer always manages to slip in a reminder that he attended Harvard. His fellow CIA agents are sick and tired of hearing it.
* Sam Heughan ("Outlander") Sebastian is hot on the trail of a double agent ...we think...
* Gillian Anderson ("Viceroy's House") To our budding feminist Morgan, "Wendy is the Beyoncé of Intelligence! A woman in a man's world!" Wendy is not impressed.
This one has a well-deserved R rating for violence and a rash of "F" bombs, but it is a romp from beginning to end. Little things, like Audrey using her turn signal when she's being chased by gun-wielding assassins and a little discussion of whether or not it's "Ukraine," or "The Ukraine." That's something I too, have wondered. This one is a treat to the eye; the camera LOVES Kunis's face and it doesn't hurt to have a couple of hunky guys hanging around, either.
This one is Entertainment, NOT Art.